Sunday, March 27, 2011

Clarion Call

News!

News that has made me humbled but very happy.

And news that has reduced me to a ball of quivering nerves until June.

Because this is mainly a review blog, I choose not to talk about my private writing, fiction I've written and sent out on an increasingly regular basis since I was seventeen. I probably wouldn't talk about my fiction anyway, now that I think about it. Making up things is kind of hard and ideas can be fragile to maintain when made public.

Anyway.

One place my interest in writing has lead me in the past is to was an internship in New York with a small publishing house for a semester in college back in 2008.

Another place it's lead me was a completed application for the Clarion Science Fiction & Fantasy Workshop in San Diego. For weeks after paying the application fee, I expected an email rejection in my inbox. I promised myself I would continue applying until I got in.

Then, a couple short weeks ago, it turned out that 2011 would be the year I'll be part of Clarion, after all!

I'm still in disbelief, even after getting the go ahead to announce the news and seeing my name on the site. I keep expecting someone to call and regretfully inform me they made a mistake, but no one has! Talking to my future classmates online has only renewed my shock and excitement. My fellow participants look like an experienced and formidable bunch and I can't wait to meet them.

So, from late June to early August of this year, I'll be in San Diego taking part in one of the most prominent writing workshops in the country. My friends and family have sent me nothing but congratulations. Cousins who I assumed knew nothing of my writing ambitions have complimented me on how prestigious the program is.

I'm so incredibly thankful for this opportunity!

Of course I'll continue to update the blog until the program begins and probably afterward, too! During the six week course, though, I'll be trying to spend my time as best I can at UC San Diego where, between writing and sleeping, I'll probably be thinking about all my past instructors, friends, and family who encouraged me to this point and will continue to do so for a long time.