Saturday, November 12, 2016

This is Real. This is What We Do Next.

Here's a list of organizations you can support:

- ACLU
- YWCA
RAINN

Here are some petitions you can sign:


We have work to do. It is a new world. 

The election results fill me with trepidation at best and a fear of multiple, catastrophic, national and international incidents at worst. There is a moment each day that I wake up where I am relieved and happy until I remember what has happened and where we live now. I am grieving.

I don't think it's the right time to over-react, but it is the right time to take action. A wave of hate crimes has already broken out. Street harassment has been reported en masse. This is not right but it is real. It is happening.

We don't know what will happen next. There's been much speculation and little confirmation. 

We must take responsibility for the coming years. We must stand and fight for the people and things that have become so much more vulnerable.

Write to your representatives. Call. Find them here.

Otherwise, in this time of helplessness, in the hope that our greatest fears will not be realized, I urge you to reach out. Affirm your friendship and love for the people in your life who are important. Take care of your mental health.

If you volunteer, keep up the momentum through November, December, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. If you donate, keep your eye on what we can do next to help. If you read articles and watch the news, don't give into panic. 

Organize. Push. Next time an important election happens (looking at you, mid-term elections), vote.

Stay passionate. Stay loving. Don't burn out, burn bright.

If you make art, keep making it. It won't help by itself, no, but it is a welcome thing in difficult times.

I love you. Even if you voted for the candidate I didn't support, I want you to live in the best possible world. I will fight for you, all of us. I hope you'll consider doing the same.