Thursday, March 29, 2018

Punchin' Nazis with Art

I'm so damn excited to have THREE of my poems in not just a zine with comic artists, but the zine, Cartoon Punk: Artists Against Fascism.

What an enormously satisfying project to take part in.

The 2016 election and all the near-constant pounding of awful news afterward has altered much of what I write and how I write it. I'm still a writer of genre--fantasy, sci-fi, and horror--but my poetry has taken a slant toward the political. 

When I heard that Lily Hoyda and Rosa Lee Monroe were putting together a collection of comics and essays against anti-semitism, racism, feminism, and, yes, fascism, I queried to see if they were accepting poems. 

It seemed unlikely but I figured I should at least try. While I have doodled autobio comics about my political frustrations, I didn't have much I considered polished enough for an illustrated submission to a zine with professional artists. So I thought, "Ha, maybe they'd want a poem or whatever."

They took three: "The Hero John Wayne," "The Boston Holocaust Memorial Vigil," and 
"Anyway, Here's a Poem About the Internet," the last of which is probably my favorite title that I've ever come up with for a poem.

My hope is I can find more places to publish my political poetry, short stories, and maybe even my sketches.

So if you want to support artists against fascism, you can order it here. Punch Nazis with art.