Friday, May 7, 2010

Explorations of My Bookshelf

Some readers refuse to buy another book before they finish what they have. I am not one of these readers.

This is one of the reasons I think reading is a lot like eating. Some of us, like myself, are just gluttons.

A sampling of books from my shelf that I have either not read or have not (yet) finished.

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
Sort of a short story collection/memoir. I read the first story and found it, as usual with Bradbury, very sentimental. But hmm. I bought this. When did I buy this?

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
Man, I don't remember buying this one either. What the hell. Did I buy it because the summary on the back is so cool? Because it's very cool.
Earth is long since dead. On a colony planet, a band of men has gained control of technology, made themselves immortal, and now rule their world as the gods of the Hindu pantheon.

Dreamcatcher
by Stephen King
I remember watching the trailer for the film adaptation. Not exactly sure how this ended up on my shelf?

Princess Nevermore by Dian Curtis Regan

I remember this book! Oh! Oh! It has a cool idea, it's Young Adult, it's got a princess and an underworld...and...and INeverFinishedItWhoops.

The Love Poems of Lord Byron: A Romantic's Passion
Byron's poetry is neat. The details of his life, on the other hand, are hilarious. Maybe I was disappointed his poems didn't have more pregnant teenagers?

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
Yes, there are sci-fi fans (or, well, people who consider themselves sci-fi fans) who haven't read this book. Anyway, space hippies and the prologue sounded promising; it was bought.